I have blinds in my bedroom, but wanted lined curtains as well, against the winter chill, and to make the room darker and more cosy. I had curtain fabric bought from a local Dunelm store about a year ago - a striped sand and cream pattern called beachcomber, which I thought quite fitting as we had moved near the coast. But a year on and the curtains had yet to be made. So, with determination and a flat floor space I cut the required lengths, only I found I was two lengths short for the window measurements. After measuring a few more times to make sure, I went back to the store to buy more fabric. Sadly, it seemed the pattern was no longer available. I didn't want to waste the material and decided there and then to find a suitable colour match to add to the existing one. The one I liked best had stars. That's how I've ended up with mix and match curtains. The loops at the top are attached with velcro on one side, to fit over the wooden curtain pole which the previous owner had painted with chalk paint, that has solidly stuck the pole fitting together. It that would require the wall to be re plastered if the pole is removed.
I needed a small project to sew after making curtains . . . . a set of blue birds that now hang from a wardrobe knob. The pattern can be found in Helen Philipps 'Modern Vintage Gifts'. They match a similar hanging I was lucky enough to win a few years ago in one of Helen's giveaways.
As for the curtain material, I woke up in bed, as you do, remembering after the event that I had originally bought the material for the spare bedroom - that has smaller windows! But although they are not perfect, curtains in both rooms are good enough.
Welcome to my blog about arts and crafts, countryside. . and much more ...