The hexie patchwork grandmothers flower garden quilt I started last year for the animal rescue charity shop just came to a halt when the dark nights started to draw in during the winter. Thankfully lighter days and nights are here, but I managed to damage my thumb opening a bottle of something, and it really has put paid to sewing for a good few weeks, and has been quite painful. It's surprising how many activities your thumb is needed for. At first even holding a kettle handle was almost impossible. It still hurts to put pressure on it e.g. ironing and cutting with scissors. Like most injuries waiting to heal, there is great lesson in patience. But pleased to report that progress on the quilt has been resumed. Individual fabric and card hexagons were already cut out, when I bought them from the shop. I intended make up the quilt and return it to the shop, but didn't say when, although I had thought Christmas - it may be Christmas this year!
There were very few solid colours in the stash, so I have used a blue bed sheet to make the flowers outline, to suggest flowers against a blue sky. When I started this quilt I had no real plan of how to make up the design or if I did it's since been forgotten. I know from recent books I have read I've broken modern quilt-makers rules: they say you should use new fabric - these patches date back to the 1960's; that you should use the same weight and type of fabric - there is an odd mix in here. Also, that you should have planned your design out on a graph beforehand - I made up the flowers trying to have a solid in the middle and patterned petals, and then started at the centre and worked round and out. All that keeps coming back to mind is that the pioneers surely used scraps from various materials they had to hand. Although a plan would be helpful if more than one person was making up the quilt.
Welcome to my blog about arts and crafts, countryside. . and much more ...